Saturday, April 5, 2008

One of the Many Joys of Living in a Growing City

For almost 6 months I've lived here.

The first 2 or 3 weeks were relatively peaceful.

Then they started work on the bakery downstairs.

Every morning I woke up to the pounding of hammers, the whirring of an electric saw, or sometimes, the deafening metal on concrete sound of a jack hammer.

Sometimes even on Sundays. Even on Christmas Eve.

Finally, soon after Christmas they finished. I couldn't have been happier.

Until just a week later they started work on the apartment below me.

This time I woke up to more sounds of hammers and power tools, only they were directly below my bed. It sounded as though they were inside my bedroom, inside my head. Sometimes my floor shook and on several occasions I thought for sure the bathroom floor was going to cave in during my shower and I would find myself naked in room full of construction workers. I kept a towel handy any time I was unclothed for that very purpose.

Finally, the work was finished and I was left with only the random tappings and bustlings of the final touches.

But not for long - somebody opened a store downstairs next to the bakery. More hammers - sometimes even at midnight. Who hammers at midnight??? And today, I awoke to the constant "pum pum pum pum pum" of hammering at the store next to the store that's next to the bakery. I wouldn't have known where the sound was coming from if I hadn't gone to the bakery to get a cup of STRONG coffee to wake me out of my stupor.

Can't a girl get a break?

****Update****

No, a girl can't get a break. I forgot to mention that they're building what I can only assume is a new apartment building across the street, so if it's not hammering from downstairs, it's the sounds of dump trucks and cranes. This morning (Sunday) I woke up several hours earlier than intended to the consistent beeping of what sounded like a truck backing up. ::sigh:: But like Toby said, at least I have a yummy bakery w/ yummy coffee downstairs!

2 comments:

Toby said...

Yeah, but how cool is that, that you have a bakery in your building!?!? I bet they have great coffee, too.

Unknown said...

You need a loud buzzing fan (like I have)to drown out all of that noise! I got hooked on fans decades ago and love it!