Thursday, May 8, 2008

I Never Would Have Thought...

Recently I've been having a clothing crisis. Really, I think my whole life has been a clothing crisis. Never knowing what was in fashion, how to dress my body, gaining a lot of weight my senior year of high school and then losing it all and more my sophomore year of college, learning from "What Not to Wear" but not having the budget, nor the patience, to do it right...

Now I'm in another crisis. Blue jeans. Europe really only does two types of jeans: skinny jeans and weird jeans (or the weird-skinny jean combo). And by weird jeans I mean all kinds of weird - super wide legs, or weird zippers and buttons that serve no purpose, back pockets half-way down the thigh...all kinds of randomness. So I bought some jeans in the US, and my sister sent me some for Christmas, and everything was great, until...

I lost a few pounds. Not a lot, just 8ish, but it's enough that since I was already between sizes, and we don't have a dryer so the jeans never shrink back, all my jeans except for the one pair that is a smaller size are now baggy. What's a girl to do? I really like the jeans I have, it's just that they're baggy, so I'm hoping find a tailor who could take them in, assuming it would be worth the cost.

But today, not intending to buy any jeans, I went shopping with my friend Vittoria, the Italian. I was really only planning on buying a tshirt or two now that the weather is warming up and I've got drawers full of sweaters. But on a whim, I decided to try on a pair of....

Skinny jeans.


And...I liked them. They weren't SOO skinny, more like these in the picture that are skinny but not painted on and tapered.

And they were only 20 Euros.

And Vittoria is really good at flattering me with compliments.

So I decided to give them a shot.

And THEN we went back to Vittoria's apartment to be girls and try on various outfits to find "the perfect outfit" for her friend's birthday party tomorrow, and she remembered that her old roommate left a pair of jeans under the bed and they've just been sitting there for months, and she's not planning on coming back for them.

They just so happened to be my size.

And skinny jeans.

So today, I came home with not one, but TWO pairs of skinny jeans.

I hope Denise doesn't disown me as her friend.

If you had told me a few weeks ago that I would soon own two pairs of skinny jeans, I would have called you a liar.

I've already bought a pair of leggings to wear under skirts. What's next? Leg warmers? Stonewashed? Those Aladdin pants??? I shudder to think of it.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I'll love you even if you wear skinny jeans! In fact, I rather look forward to seeing you in them!

Jeanne said...

Those Aladin pants are so you :)

Lissy said...

you bought leggings? have you lost your mind???

Me said...

If it makes you feel any better only a few pair fit me because I got fat. Don't worry though I'm working it off.