Saturday, February 2, 2008

23 Flavors of Awesomeness


Several years ago I gave up cokes. All cokes. All of them. Even Dr. Pepper GASP yes, even Dr. Pepper.

My doctor told me that I was at risk for diabetes and I should make some drastic changes to my diet, one of them, was to give up cokes. So I did it, begrudgingly, but also gladly, because I did not want diabetes.

The past year or so I started sipping the occasional coke, only when friends or family had one, and only just a little bit.

Now that I've been in Europe, every now and then I allow myself Orange Fanta, however I've decided to go back to my anti-diabetes diet because I've realized I've been a bit too relaxed about it all lately, and like I said, I DO NOT want diabetes.

But a few days ago some people visiting from the U.S. brought some Dr. Pepper. You just can't not make an exception for Dr. Pepper when you live outside of the Southern U.S. I had a whole can to myself, but knowing that I didn't need all 40 grams of that sugar, I decided to split it with someone. And while I still think that yes, Dr. Pepper is the BEST coke that ever existed and yes, I did enjoy every sip of it, I realized that I really didn't miss it that much. I don't NEED Dr. Pepper in my normal beverage intake. I expected my first sip of Dr. Pepper in something like 7 months to be life changing, inspiring, emotionally moving. I expected to see the lights turn bright and soft around me and hear Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. But really, it was just "good". I had no spiritual epiphany, there was no chorale of angels and world peace did not break out. My expected moment of bliss was merely "tasty".

It feels good to know that I am no longer a slave to carbonated sugar-filled beverages. =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmm... I'm afraid I'm still slave to Dr. Pepper. Sad to say. I was going to *try* and give it up for the new year and only eat it with Mexican food. But living in San Antonio and eating Mexican food A LOT doesn't really narrow that down too much. I think you have inspired me. to kick it. (Notice that I said 'I think') Now that you've mentioned 40g of sugar and diabetes, I'm going to think twice before gulping them so quickly. So thanks. ;)