Monday, February 4, 2008

Something Has Gone Terribly Wrong...

Something has gone terribly wrong in the world.

I thought it was bad when leggings came back. Girls started wearing them under dresses or skirts. They thought they were so cute, but really - come on. Well, at least that's what I thought when the trend first hit Texas. Now that I live in Europe, the whole idea makes more sense to me. It's cold outside, you don't have a car, you walk everywhere, and you want to wear a skirt. Leggings make perfect sense. And once they started to make sense, they became kinda cute. So I got over the leggings bit. In fact, I might just buy some.

Then came the skinny jeans. I hated them. They reminded me of Lee tapered "mom jeans" (no offense to anybody reading this who wears them, but let's be honest - tapered jeans just aren't flattering). But then Stacey and Clinton recommended to one of the guests on "What Not To Wear" that she could wear the skinny jeans. I was furious, but I had to admit - they did look kind of cute on her. Today's skinny jeans have a new twist on them - they're not just tapered. They're skinny. I've come to accept that some people can pull them off. And by "some people" I mean skinny people with no hips.

But here's where I draw the line: when people start wearing leggings with no dress/skirt - nothing covering their lovely (or not-so-lovely) little behind. I was afraid it would come to this, but hoped I was wrong. But about a week and a half ago, I saw a girl walking down the street in her leggings. No skirt, no dress, no extra-long shirt to cover the rear - just leggings. So then I went out of town with some friends for a week, and when I get back it's like a leggings explosion. Today on campus I saw FOUR girls wearing black leggings in this way. That's FOUR little tooshies more than I wanted to see!

And it's not just the utter lack of modesty that I protest - leggings just aren't flattering on anybody! Not even those cute little size 4 tooshies look good in them! Nobody! That's why they are supposed to go UNDER something.

And now that I have seen this, I'm afraid that my worst fears are about to come true. Surely you know to what I am referring. If you were alive during the late 80's...if you have seen pictures of your older sister with the teased bangs and bangle jewelry...surely you know what my worst fashion fear is.

Stirrup Pants.


Need I say more? The day I see these walking down the street, I will know that the women of the world have been sucked into a never ending fashion vortex of death.

6 comments:

The Roberts' said...

i saw someone guilty of that crime two days ago in austin. YUCK. its kind of like the man grossness of wranglers.... just showin WAAAY to much.

Anonymous said...

Oh no!! Take the stirrup pants back!!! Please, this part of history was NOT meant to repeat itself! I admit, it took me a while to warm up to leggings and skinny jeans, but please, NOT these! lol!! and especially with nothing to cover it!!
By the way, I miss you two girls! Take care and know I'm thinking about you.
-Melanie Van Laningham

The Massons said...

i'm resigning if the leggins come back. well not really, but eww.

Julie said...

I love them! Not the ones in the photo, but untapered stirrup leggings. I don't have any, but I might consider it.

Unknown said...

When I first arrived in the United States and began shopping for school (think Jan 1993) there were, among my limited "immigrant girl trying to fit in" slash "wearing whatever my mother thought would be good for me" wardrobe, at least two pairs of stir-up pants.

Coming from the third-world to America, we missed out on the 80s altogether and the 20/20 hindsight that those first three years of the 90s should have afforded us.

Anonymous said...

i LOVE stirrup pants!