Monday, January 4, 2010

Growing Up

Today was full of responsible, adult-like activities.

I opened a new bank account, bought a mattress, began applying for a job for which I need a Ft. Worth phone number, so I then set up an 817 phone number through Skype and had all calls forwarded to my non-817 cell phone, and I began packing to move in to my first apartment that I personally will pay for, with no help from my mother and no company to pay for it.

Starting last month I began paying for my own car insurance, choosing health insurance, paying my own rent and bills, and generally partaking in responsible, adult-like activities.

It's not that I didn't do any of those things in Spain, but it was so much easier there. I walked into a job situation in which my health insurance, housing, and travel was all provided for me. I had no car, so I didn't have to worry about car insurance, gas, repairs, etc. Now, after a little help from my family who got me set up (thank you!!), I'm a responsible, independent, single adult.

It feels...

exciting.

terrifying.

exhilarating.

overwhelming.

empowering.

This is my first time being an adult, so I'm still trying to figure it all out.

I think I like it. But it scares me. Suddenly there's so much...

responsibility.

That's a big word.

Yet I'm not worried. Scared, yes, but worried, no. :)

Last semester God provided for all of my needs.

Sometimes it was "natural" - through my savings, a little help from my mom, a few babysitting gigs - and sometimes it was "supernatural" - somebody offering a rent-free living situation, a man at church who felt he needed to give me some cash, a fellow student who did the same, $5 in the mail from a friend, an invitation to dinner; God provided through both expected and unexpected means.

I never went hungry - in fact, I ate quite nicely.

When my shoes fell apart (literally), I had money to buy new ones.

I even had the funds for a few clothing splurges (I may be on a budget, but I'm still a girl!).

I have no doubt that God will provide abundantly this Spring as well.

So join me on my blog as I begin this new adventure in life called "adulthood," full of responsibility, adventure and bills.

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

And you are doing just fine in adulthood :)