Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Did He Just Laugh??

Yesterday I had to get my residency renewed, which involved several phone calls, waiting in line at one office, going to another office, a few tears, more waiting, and finally a few stamps and directions to wait some more.

Well, anybody who has known me for a while knows that I've changed a LOT in the past 6ish years.

My passport picture was taken 60 pounds ago, and on that particular day, my hair (which was cut very short) was not cooperating, and when the AWFUL picture came out, the lady in charge wouldn't let me take another one. So now I'm stuck with it.

Every now and then customs agents, bank workers, and whoever else looks at my passport will do a double-take or raise an eyebrow, and once somebody even commented on how much I had changed.

But yesterday at the immigration office....

Dude straight up LAUGHED.

He took one look and couldn't hold it in.

He didn't have any shame about it, either.

He didn't even try to hide it. Or even apologize.

He just kept on laughing, while I, taken aback, said, "yeah, I know, it's terrible".

Lucky for him, I'm not easily offended. And I must admit, it is funny. Especially when I'm having a good hair day (which I was yesterday) and wearing makeup (which I was yesterday), it looks like I'm some exaggerated before-and-after TLC stunt.

I would put the amazingly awful picture on here for you all to see, but I'm not gonna lie....there's no way I'm about to put that thing on the internet for all the world to see. Not on my life.



In other news, the sun came out recently. It's been wonderful! My friend Kaotar and I took advantage of a sunny Saturday afternoon and went to the park to play frisbee.

After a while Kaotar realized that she lost the pendant on her necklace (that her mom gave her when she was a little girl!), so we spent a good 30-45 minutes scouring the grass looking for it.

A man and his 6 year old son came along and helped us look. When Kaotar decided it was time to give up, we all started playing frisbee together.

Here I am showing off my awesome frisbee skills:


After a few minutes I looked to my right to see two little boys standing there.

You know how little kids do...

They were too shy to ask if they could play, so they just stood there, staring at me, until I noticed.

I asked, "do y'all want to play?"

They both nodded their heads vigorously.

Pretty soon the couple making out nearby decided it was time to move. That was when the real fun began.

No more worrying about knocking them in the head or running over them trying to catch a frisbee gone array.

It was great. The kids were adorable and they learned really quickly how to throw the frsibee fairly decent.

The 6 year old's dad kept cracking us up by calling out the score every time somebody messed up.

"Chile 5, United States 0"

"Spain 2, Morocco 1"

He was from Chile so every time he and his son had success, he awarded themselves more points.

Here are the 3 adorable boys:

When they got tired of playing frisbee they decided to "clean" the area. They went around gathering sticks, leaves, anything they could find, and putting them in this hole. They said it was so we could find Kaotar's pendant easier, but I think really it was just because they're boys and they like any excuse to play with sticks.

They say it's going to get cold again this week, and while I'm sad to see the beautiful weather go, I'm glad it came for a visit.

I can hardly wait for Spring!!

4 comments:

Chris said...

Thanks for sharing your sunshine with us. The gray skies are hitting me hard right now.

Daniel said...

Yes Frisbee!

Ashley said...

I have seen the infamous picture! I don't blame you for not posting it, but I'm glad you told the story.

Jeanne said...

Ah yes, the photograph. I remember that day & the angst you felt and exhibited when she said "nope" to you having a retake. Sigh....