Monday, December 1, 2008

Thoughts on Winter

The past 2 weeks we've had temperatures of 4 to 8 degrees centigrade. That's upper 30's and lower 40's in F.

I'm from Texas. I'm not used to that.

While I'm pretty sure that winter here last year was the same, I don't remember it being nearly as painful as it's been this year.

Last weekend I went on a retreat in Valencia and the place I was staying didn't have heat. The main meeting room had a small heater and there were some stationary gas flame heaters in the cafeteria, but I still spent the entire weekend in tights, jeans, tank top, tshirt, sweater, coat, and scarf. I had to wear my coat and scarf indoors all weekend. And let's not even talk about going to bed. That was so painfully cold the very thought still hurts me.

But I suppose it was a good experience for me. I forget sometimes how blessed I am. I forget that there are millions of people who don't have heat on a daily basis. I forget that there are millions of people who don't have tights and jeans and layers of clothes and coats and scarves. They have no choice but to suffer through the winter.

And I take it for granted that not only do I have a coat, but I look in my closet and can choose WHICH coat I want to wear that day. The long one or the short one? Is it particularly cold? Then I shall wear the fleece lined ski coat. Am I going for a run? Then I shall wear the water resistant pull over.

I am blessed.



Along the same lines, I have a question. What cold weather tips do you have for this Texas girl? What kinds of clothing/layers/etc have helped you out? Even the obvious. For example, I never thought "put on some socks" until somebody said it to me one time. It may sound stupid but I'm so accustomed to going barefoot indoors that when it's cold, putting on socks doesn't even cross my mind. But keeping your feet warm makes a huge difference.

Tell me. Give me advice. Not only do I need it for now, but I'm also going to London (colder) in just over a week and then to visit my mom (even colder) in two weeks.

And since running in this cold weather has become far more painful than I thought possible, I also went shopping.

I always used to make fun of the people who wore running tights. I thought they were either too serious or just trying to show off their hot (or sometimes not so hot) bod.

And then it got cold. And I want to run.

Sweat pants don't do the job. They absorb your sweat, get wet, and then you end up even colder.

Windbreaker type pants don't do the job. They let air in at the ankles, and they make that "swish swish" sound that gets on my nerves because when you're running at a park where lots of people run, you like to know when somebody is lapping you so you can move over and get out of their way. When your pants say "swish swish" you can't hear the "swish swish" of other people so you're always thinking somebody is right behind you when really it's just you.

The people wearing running tights always look so happy and warm.

So I tried some on.

I liked them. A lot.

So I'm now "one of those."

One of those serious runners.

One of those people I used to judge.

One of those people showing off their hot (or not) bod.

"Judge not, lest you too be judged."

3 comments:

martha said...

oooh, I have been there and I remember the bitter dry winds coming off the mountains. Mercy!! If you have a heating pad, put it in your bed on high before you get in, at the feet, then move it progressively up after you get in. Something about the feet being warm fools the body. And outside wear scarf AND hat. Wool socks over cotton socks helps the feet too. Drinking hot tea helps. And crema. Never did I use so much crema in my life as the DRY and COLD winters required there. Then invest in some workout dvd's and workout at home. I suggest ZUMBA because it is super fun!!
hth
Shelly V

martha said...

oh, and cold weather is just one more reason to own cashmere. Cashmere keeps you warm and does not itchy itch

shelly (again)

Jeanne said...

Poor baby :)
What helps me: tights & socks over the tights. Sometimes, tights, long johns AND socks. Long johns tops & bottoms. Fleece top over long john top. Hat on my head outside w/scarf around my neck & gloves on my hands, with all of the above.

Here at the house--long johns, socks, with slippers on my feet, covering w/a throw when sitting for prolonged periods of time.

Hope this helps! Sounds like you are getting aclimated for your visit here!