Saturday, March 15, 2008

Mountain Adventures

Well, I finally finished language school! Can I get a WHOOP??

So, as a treat for studying so hard, learning so much, and putting up with a city of 6 million people for so long (harder than I thought it would be for this semi-country girl), I decided to go for a hike. The nice thing about this bustling city is that it's surrounded by mountains, so for just a few Euros I hopped on a train, not really knowing where I was going except that my friend said she went hiking in this little village and I should be able to ask somebody to find the trails...ha...So I got there and had no idea how to get to the trails from the train station. Luckily, in my research the night before I had read on some guys' blog that he had to walk up a long road to get to the trails. So after asking a few people who were just as clueless as I, I decided to take a risk and walk up the hill on what looked like the main road. Once my phone had reception I called my friend to make sure I was going the right way, and I was. Soon I found an information booth and they gave me a trail map and pointed me in the right direction. Here's me getting started on the trail super excited that I even found it:


I picked the trail that was supposed to be 2 1/2 hours long (LIE - more like 3 1/2). It was BEAUTIFUL. And the most beautiful part was that it was just me and God the whole way. I could enjoy His beautiful creation uninterrupted - sing out loud - soak up the sun - just be myself by myself - whatever I wanted. It was great.

I could walk along the rocks despite the presence of a perfectly good trail, just because I wanted to, and nobody was going to give me weird looks or ask me why. I could make "shpcooo" sounds every time I jumped down from a tiny boulder without fear that my quirkiness would annoy any companions. I could jump over a ditch, just because I felt like it, and bounce from side to side of the trail for no reason at all, without judgment. It was great. It was beautiful. It was refreshingly free.

I could also take a picture of this random bathtub:
I am definitely planning on going back. I might go with some friends this week, or I might go by myself again sometime. But I'll make sure to wear better socks, because this time left me with some nasty sores on my heels.






p.s. please note that I am wearing my "Moosejaw" tshirt in the pictures. And while you can't see them, I was wearing my hiking boots that I got FOR FREE from Moosejaw. So if you ever need any hiking/camping/rock climbing gear, or maybe just a pair of Chacos, go to Moosejaw. They're awesome (I feel obliged to advertise for them since they gave me free boots)

4 comments:

Julie said...

Whoop!

Toby said...

You are the queen of the self-portrait! Check out my blog.

Helen Bunting said...

Mmmm....I may need to take a solitary hike soon. Good idea, amiguita.

Anonymous said...

Haha, Moosejaw. Oh the good ol' days of our wonderful math class together and you not paying attention, but rather emailing Mr. Moosejaw (whose name I can't remember) about whatever came to mind. Good times! I'm glad that relationship has continued through the years.