Saturday, March 1, 2008

IKEA is for lovers


I have now decided that I should avoid going to IKEA on Saturdays at all costs.

Is it because of the massive crowds taking advantage of their day off from work?

Nope.

Is it because I like to sleep late on Saturdays and going to IKEA is a big event that requires me to sacrifice sleep?

Nope.

Then what else could it be besides...

The Couples.

Saturday is the day when all the lovebirds come out to buy kitchen utensils and party napkins for their new love nest.

Today I had to go take a pillow back (it was 30 EUROS! I thought it was 3...) and decided to have a walk around and maybe buy a rug for my room. Everywhere I turned, be it to the right or the left, stood some lovey dovey couple holding on to each other while gooing and gawing over a funky vase filled with vinyl flowers, or some eccentric rug that only a post-modern 28 year old with chunky black rectangular glasses trimmed in lime green with a degree in marketing could understand, or else a blender.

It's not that I'm one of those single people who resents being single and therefore despises the very sight of a couple in love. I hope to be one of those couples in love one day, so why should I despise them now?

But there comes a point when enough is enough, and today at IKEA.... I decided I should shop there on weekdays.


On a completely different note, the other night I was walking through city center when a group of about 20 men in between the ages of 35 and 45 passed by holding hands and skipping singing "Loo, loo! Skip to my loo!"

It was a special moment.

1 comment:

Helen Bunting said...

Haha! I love your posts. And I definitely know how you feel about the pervasive coupley-ness.

Skip to my loo! LOL.