Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Midterms

Three down.

One to go.

In case you forgot, I'm in seminary.

And somehow I managed to sign up for four of the most challenging professors in the school, all in one semester.

BUT I'm thankful. I came here to be challenged. I came here to learn. And I'm learning a whole stinkin' lot!!

My schedule this semester is:

Church History 1 (New Testament church through...the Reformation? I'm not sure at what point in history the class ends)

Old Testament 1

Hermeneutics (that means "the art or science of interpreting texts")

Elementary Greek 1 (I'll take a a total of four semesters of Greek, and two of Hebrew)

and Spiritual Formation, a class that deals with yourpersonal spiritual life.

Last week I had three midterms...so far I only know the grade for Church History. I made an A. :)

Thursday I have Old Testament. Those who have taken the class before me have given their advice for doing well on this exam, which covers The Pentateuch (Genesis - Deuteronomy). They say, "basically, just memorize the Pentateuch."

Awesome.

I think I'll be satisfied if I can memorize the three Scripture passages we're required to write from memory, complete all the readings (Gen-Deut twice, two text books, Justin's Dialogue w/ Trypho, and something else which I haven't even started...), and still remember my own name.

It's hard work, but it's totally worth it.

"Hear, O Israel! The Lord is our God, the Lord is one! You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates." Deuteronomy 6:4-9

No comments: