Monday, September 14, 2009

More Update!


Two posts in two days!  Incredible!!

You may be wondering what's been going on in my world, aside from reading.

Well I already wrote about coming back from Spain.

Since then, a month has passed.  The first almost weekish was spent with my family, followed by a near week with friends in Virginia.  The day before going to Virginia my family moved me to Ft. Worth, where the seminary is.  When I got back to DFW, my new car was waiting for me in "The Parking Spot."  If you've ever been to DFW airport, you've seen those goofy polka dot vans.  I got to ride one of those.  :)

Then, classes started.

I'll be honest - that first week was rough.  

Not because of the classes in themselves, but the rather, the whole process of moving overseas (from a place I LOVED), starting over in a new city, returning to way of life that I thought I had left behind, driving again (terrifying!), missing my friends back in Spain...the list goes on.

Honestly, I just wanted to curl up into a ball and cry.  

I'm pretty sure I did a few times.

But since that first week of class, things have improved greatly.  A guy in Spain put me in touch with a girl he knew that would also be starting here this Fall, and we just happened to bump into each other the first week.  We've been hanging out ever since.

For my birthday, instead of sitting at Starbucks by myself with no friends (what would have happened), she decided we had to do something.  So she and I and two other girls and one guy went to Macaroni Grill and bowling.  Let me tell you, that was the best date of his life.  Four girls, one guy - can it get much better?  We had a blast.  The pasta was delicious, the bowling was a blast (I bowled 136 in the first game!), and we loved watching the guys next to us bowl.  They were awesome.

Then on Friday I went home to my sister's house for my birthday dinner with the family.  She told me that the kids wanted to surprise me, so I walked back to my room, opened the door, turned on the light and.....SURPRISE!!  The kids jumped out from behind the bed which MY MOM was sitting on.

My mom.  

The one living in Asia.

The one who told me she'd be home the next week.

I stared at her.  Turned to my sister.  Stared at her again.  Finally she stood up, we hugged, and the sobbing began.  It's been a rough month, and no matter how old a girl gets, there's nothing like crying it all away in your momma's arms.

I'm sure my brother-in-law will be posting a terribly embarrassing video soon.  I'll be sure link you to it.

And now...back to reading.

2 comments:

The Massons said...

miss you laura!!! madrid is finally staring it's fall season. kind of. :) i enjoyed a nice bus ride across town yesterday and enjoyed the city . . .

Jeanne said...

Glad I got to be the one to share your sobbing with you :) I love you Baby Girl!!!!