Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Dreaming About Doughnuts


They say that what you eat influences what you dream.

Lately I've been eating a lot of salad (spinach salad, to be exact), and having a lot of tasty (and guilty) dreams.

For example, the other night I dreamed that I went to Dunkin' Donuts and ate a glazed chocolate cake doughnut (the same kind in the picture above), but then I saw that they had cinnamon rolls and I really, really wanted one because they looked just like the ones they sold at the doughnut shop down the street when I was a kid (do you remember those, Mom? They were soooo good). I struggled with the decision: eat a cinnamon roll, even though you've already had a doughnut? Or do the right thing and walk on by? I'm pretty sure I ate the cinnamon roll, since I woke up feeling guilty.

Then I went to Starbucks, but instead of being a customer, I worked there. People kept on ordering a "café cortado" but the espresso machine gave me a different amount each time, so I couldn't get the coffee to milk ratio right. How frustrating! Not to mention that you can't actually get a "café cortado" at Starbucks. But hey - anything can happen when it's a dream!

Hm. So I ate salad, and I dreamed about doughnuts, cinnamon rolls, and coffee. Interesting.

Then last night (after eating salad again) I dreamed that I was walking through the Hipercor grocery store looking for some kind of pink yummy deliciousness (it was a made up pastry that surely doesn't exist in the non-dream world). While walking through the aisles I saw all kinds of ham, chorizo, and sausages, peanut butter, and various other tasty eats while in search of my mysterious pink baked good. My alarm clock woke me up before I was able to find it, so at least I was saved from the stress of having to decide if one moment of heaven for my taste buds was worth the miles I would have to run to undue such catastrophic caloric havoc.

After eating salad for dinner two nights in a row, I've dreamed about sugary-sweet, baked confections two nights in a row.

So I'm wondering: if tonight I eat doughnuts for dinner, will I dream about salad?

2 comments:

Jeanne said...

Ah, yes, I remember those cinnamon rolls & wouldn't mind having one right now! Did you dream of salad?

Unknown said...

youre so funnny